Wednesday, May 2, 2012

One of the Many Rewards

We were driving home the other night from an eventful family shopping trip to Walmart (not going into that on this post) and D, my 10 year old son piped up from the back seat of the Suburban. "Hey Dad.  Today in school I had to answer some questions from the birthday bucket (I guess on their birthday at school they draw a couple of questions from a bucket that they answer to help their classmates get to know them better) and one of my questions was 'who is your hero?'.  I said that you were, Dad.  My other question was 'If I were to get stranded on a deserted island, who would I want to be with me?'.  I said you again, Dad.  I chose you 'cause you have taught me everything I know and I figured we could just sit and fish.".
     I got a little teary.  Okay, I got a lot teary.  I realized how lucky I am to have married a man that CAN be his son's hero and best friend but most of all, who CHOSE to put enough time into making it happen.  D also wants to be what his dad is when he is all grown up.  My husband works as a maintenance guy for a local school district.  We are not rich by any stretch.  I'm a stay at home mom.  But what is important to my kids is that their dad can take time off to take them on field trips, he's home every day by four to play with them, he's off for Christmas break to help them make cookies and take them sledding.  They don't seem to care that we can't clothe them in the name brands or the latest styles or take them to Disneyland.  It's the little things.  Fishing, sledding, shooting hoops, bike rides, blowing bubbles, waterfights, jumping on the trampoline, sharing popsicles. 

I saw this on Facebook and it reminded me of WHY we are parents and how the little things are what make the difference.  Hope it touches you as much as it touched me.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150765551480935

No comments:

Post a Comment